Why the rest of us needs the Micro-Cat:
- We need to hear the voice of
the alpine skier, but is a little afraid of skiing next to the guy with our 416 between our teeth down "Steilhang" in
- We don't like the
idea of synchronized bungee-jumps... Especially with all the expensive
equipment hanging on our body...
- You hesitate when told that the
producer would really love the close-up sound of the stuntmans heavy
breathing during the fall, and the groan when hitting the cardboard
- There are two persons in the small rubber boat, you
have to be in the other boat next to it, but the
shot is so wide you'll need a 50 feet pole...
- The star drives an open car, and you don't trust him
when he's doing 150 mph...
- You are not especially into base jumping...or
- You need the sound of exterior car, but the producer
don't like the blimp mounted on the hardtop...
- You feel a little bit sick when told that your job
today is to record the footsteps of a 100 Mt..
- ...And tomorrow it's the New York Marathon...
- You're wondering about what the referee for the super
bowl will say, when asking if it's okay for him if
you run next to him with your 416 in your right hand during
- You're not convinced when told that "yes, it is 3000
feet down to the village, but this rope is safely secured with
this bolt so you won't fall, and the climber is not going to say
more than a couple of lines. If you like, we can secure your 416
with an additional rope..!?"
- When the producer says: "I know it's not windy, I like
the Micro-Cat look"...
- When the talent says: "I will NOT wear that grey thing
on my BLACK T-shirt, it
looks like a bug!!" You say: "I know, for these special
occasions I have bought this new BLACK Micro-Cat!!"
I invented the Micro-Cat during recording a show called "Who dares
I had to, because the main thing was to "make" ordinary people do
then pay them... And if they didn't do the stunt, the host had to
do it, to show
that it could be done in a safe way, or to bail out and pay..because he
dare either..Usually he paid....
It involved things like standing on a planes wing, jumping out from a
from 3000 feet ( with a parachute :), I used Audio RMS2000 and holding
receiver horizontally I got sound from the point of counting "
missed the "3" because the girl jumping said "3" inside the copter.. I
sound all the way down. the moan when the parachute opened was great,
she laughed all the way down. Try to loop that!
Other things we did was cleaning windows, on the outside on Norways
hotel, balance from one roof to another on a steel beam, ride a luge (
on the belly and face forward ), climbing up a heli-ladder from a boat
20 knots, Australian rappelling ( face down ) down a building....
Every production day I used the Micro-Cat.
But remember, it also works in a news-reporters stand up, or one
persons walking and talking. Basically in situations that you would
like to use
your wireless, but can't because it's windy....